***Note: you'll find I'm not always traditional with my methods! I do not use the traditional 3-step method of breading for this recipe. Yes- as you can see by the pic the breading still sticks without using the flour, egg, and crumb steps. Feel free to do the 3 step if you so choose!
1 1/2# of Tilapia filets (about 6-8 ea.)
4 cups (roughly 1/2 bag) Tortilla chips
about a 1/2 of flour
1 T chili powder
1 T ground cumin
1 T lime or lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1/2 cup Salsa (any kind will do!)
1/4 cup Mayo
1/2 t chili powder
dash of salt
1) In a large ziploc bag, place tortilla chips, close the bag, and crush the chips with a rolling pin, (or whatever gets the job done!)
2) Add to the crushed chips: the flour and spices. Seal bag and shake to combine.
3) Pre-heat oven to 325F. Take a baking sheet and line with foil. Heat a large frying pan on medium, and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
4) Take the tilapia filets, rinse in water, and place immediately in bag to coat. (Kind of like "Shake & bake" method!)
***Don't put more than 2 filets in the bag at a time. You may have to pat more coating on the filets by hand before placing in pan.
5) Cook the fish for about 3-4min. per side, (or until golden brown). Add more oil if necessary. When filets are cooked on both sides, place on the foil lined sheet tray, and finish in oven. (This is also just to keep the fish nice and hot until all filets have been cooked.)
6) Make the sauce: Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and mix together well!
7) Garnish fish with some freshly chopped green onions, cilantro, or slices of lemon or limes, and serve!
***I always serve this fish with Spanish or Mexican rice, and a colorful side dish of black beans, corn, & tomatoes.