Yield: 1 dozen scones
3cups AP flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground ginger
1 stick of unsalted butter (1/2 cup), cold
zest of 1/2 grapefruit
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 pink grapefruit (segmented- in pieces, or 1/4 cup)
2T heavy cream or buttermilk
**Optional- Pink Grapefruit Glaze:
2T. pink grapefruit juice
1 cup + of powdered sugar
pink gel coloring
1) Night before: take all dry ingredients and sift together in a bowl.
2) With a pastry cutter, (or 2 knives), cut in your butter with the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly.
3) By hand, stir in zest, coconut, choc. chips, and buttermilk. then add grapefruit last! Make sure dough is sticky, and DO NOT OVER MIX! (The more you mix, the tougher the dough will get, and it won't be light and tender.)
4) In a 8x9 parchment lined pan, place your dough, making it nicely square and flat. pizza.) With a floured knife, score the scones by cutting down the center in half, 3 across, and each square in a triangle. (Hope I didn't confuse you! You should end up with 12 triangles in all.)
**Or, you could just place the dough on a parchment or silpat lined sheet tray, leave the dough round, and flatten slightly. Score like you would a pizza, about 12 scones.
5) Cover pan with plastic wrap, and place in freezer overnight.
6) When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F, and remove pan from freezer.
7) Line a sheet tray with parchment. Remove dough from 8x9 pan. Cut and separate scones, placing them apart on the sheet tray. With a pastry brush, brush on a thin layer of the cream or buttermilk on top of each scone, and sprinkle with sugar.
8) Bake scones for about 25min. @ 350F.
9) Allow to cool. For the glaze: simply whisk the powdered sugar and juice in a bowl, adjust thickness as necessary. Add a small amount of pink coloring if you wish.
Drizzle the scones with pink grapefruit glaze, or leave plain! Serve immediately. (They are the best warm and fresh.)
***Can serve with butter, clotted cream, or any citrus jam. Store in an airtight container.