****Mascarpone is a slightly sweet Italian cream cheese- very smooth and spreadable, and available in most grocers and markets in the imported or specialty cheese section.
***Grand Marnier is a premium liqueur made in France, manufactured by Marnier Lapostolle introduced in 1880. It is a high-end orange-flavored cognac liqueur.
Yield: About 2 dozen Strawberries
1# (or about 1 quart) of Whole Strawberries
1- 8oz. container of Italian Mascarpone Cheese
1 t. orange zest
2 T honey
1 T Grand Marnier
Garnish: About 1/2 bag of dark chocolate chips
For non-alcoholic version:
Substitute honey and Grand Marnier for 2 T of Orange Marmalade
1) Rinse strawberries and pat dry.
2) On a cutting board, simply hull, and cut each berry in half. If the berry is not flat on the bottom, just slice a bit off the base to make sure it doesn't roll when on the platter.
3) Take a melon baller, and carefully scoop out the very center of each half. (Like in picture above.)
4) For the filling: Simply add all the ingredients for the filling together in a bowl and stir by hand. (No mixers needed for this since the cheese is so soft!)
5) Take a star tip and a pastry bag, and pipe a small amount of the filling into each strawberry half. Place on a lined sheet tray and refrigerate.
6) In a small bowl, melt the chocolate. Depending on your skill level, you can either pipe a design on parchment, allow to harden, and place in each strawberry, or you can simply drizzle over the berries as well! Or, you can use a mint leaf, etc.
7) Place on a platter, and serve!