I have always had a fondness for hazelnuts as well, so it's quite an incredible combination! The rhubarb adds a sweet and slightly tart flavor to compliment the richness of the pastry. If you're not a fan of rhubarb, simply substitute for your favorite jam filling!
Yield: About 3 dozen
1- 8oz. pkg. of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (at room temp.)
1 t. vanilla extract
1 cup of toasted & ground hazelnuts
1 1/2 cup of AP flour
4 c chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
1 cup sugar
water or egg wash
1) For the dough: cream together the cream cheese and butter, add vanilla and mix well. Slowly add the flour and hazelnuts, and stir together until the dough is formed. Cover well, and refrigerate overnight, or for 3-4 hours prior to rolling out.
2) In the mean time, to make the rhubarb filling: simply combine the sugar and rhubarb in a medium sized pot on medium heat, and keep stirring mixture until sugar dissolves and the rhubarb begins to cook. Check for sweetness, add more if desired. Once mixture begins to simmer, turn heat down to low, and continue cooking.
*** Because of the high water content in the rhubarb, it's not necessary to add additional liquid, and you actually want to cook this mixture down until it's very thick and concentrated. (It will have same consistency as jam.)
3) Once the rhubarb mixture is thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool.
4) Pre-heat oven to 350F
5) Remove dough and allow to set at room temp. for 5-10min. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into 1 large rectangle.
6) Cut the dough into roughly 3inx 3in. squares. Put a small teaspoon full of the rhubarb filling in the center of each square. Begin folding in one corner to the center of square at a time, until it resembles the shape in the graphic pictured above. ****Use a bit of egg wash or a wet finger to press the dough together in the center.
7) Transfer pastries to a parchment or silpat lined sheet tray. repeat the process until all pastries are finished.
8) Put the pastries in the refrigerator for about 10-15min. prior to baking. (This helps the pastries hold their shape while baking!)
9) Remove trays from refrigerator and bake for 10-12 min. at 350F - they should be a beautiful light golden brown color.
10) Allow to cool. Prior to serving, dust with powdered sugar. These keep well for a week or more in an air tight container.