***To make these, you will need a special pizzelle electric iron, or metal press.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen pizzelles (or cannolos)
1/2 cup pitted fresh cherries
2 t. Amaretto liqueur
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
**optional: a few drops of red food coloring
1 drop of cherry flavored oil or 1/2 t. of almond extract
2 cups flour
2 t. baking powder
Cooking oil spray
Set of 4 (or more!) cannoli forms or dowels
1 pint heavy cream
1- 12 oz. bag of Dark Chocolate Chips
1 bag of chocolate (for melting and dipping ends)
mini chocolate chips
1) In a bowl, empty the bag of dark chocolate chips. In a small pot, heat the pint of cream until a begins to come to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over chocolate, and mix well. Allow to cool to room temp., and place in the refrigerator to chill. ***Can do the night before.
2) In a blender or small food processor, blend the cherries and Amaretto until pureed.
3) In a bowl, mix up the sugar and eggs until nice and fluffy. Add the cooled butter, food coloring, and cherry or almond flavoring. Carefully mix in the baking powder and flour until well combined.
4) Heat up your press, and lightly spray some cooking oil. Take a teaspoon of batter and drop it in the very center of the design. Close the press, and cook for about 1min. (These cook very quickly!) Remove pizzelles, one at a time, and quickly wrap around a dowel or cannoli form. (Cookies cool quickly, so forms or dowels can be removed after about 4min.) Repeat this process until the cookie batter is gone! Set finished pizzelles aside.
5) Optional: If dipping ends of chocolate prior to filling, melt a bag of chocolate, temper, and dip the cannolos one at a time in the chocolate, placing them on a parchment or silpat lined sheet tray. Allow chocolate to set.
6) Remove the chilled ganache from the refrigerator, and whip up until nice and thick. Using a straight or star piping tip, pipe the filling into the cannolos. Dip the ends in crushed nuts, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc. (Or, leave plain!) Place finished cannolos in the freezer to set up in a sealed container. Serve as frozen treats!
***If you do not wish to freeze them, enjoy immediately. They actually hold up quite well in the freezer, but refrigerating them will soften the pizzelles.