Serves about 6-8 people
1/2 package of bacon
Foil lined sheet tray
2# ground chicken (or turkey)
1/2 cup chia seeds (can sub with bread crumbs)
1/4 onion (minced)
2 T. White wine
Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
salt & pepper
1 tomato (sliced)
2 cups cooked rainbow chard ( or spinach, kale, arugula, etc.)
1 handful of chopped parsley (about 2 T.)
salt & pepper
1/2 cup shredded Havarti (or Asiago, Gouda, Mozzarella, etc.)
1 small can of tomato sauce
3 t. Balsamic Vinegar
1-2 T. Plain Greek Yogurt (or sour cream)
Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F
1) On a foil- lined sheet tray, lay out about 6 slices of bacon vertically. Then starting at the top, take a slice of bacon and weave over and under the six strips. Repeat this process until you achieve a basket weave effect, (like the pic above.) Set aside.
2) In a bowl, make the "meatloaf mixture" by combining the ground chicken (turkey), egg, chia seeds, onion, white wine, dash of garlic powder and paprika, Worcestershire Sauce, & a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Spread out in an even layer over top of the bacon "weave"- making sure to leave enough space around all 4 edges.
3) In a separate bowl, combine the filling: chard, parsley, salt & pepper to taste, and cheese.
4) Going right down the center, place the slices of tomato- overlapping them. Directly on top of the tomato slices, spoon the chard mixture. (Refer to pics above for visual.)
5) Carefully fold over the ground meat filling edges, and wrap ground meat mixture completely around filling- making sure it is sealed entirely.
6) Lastly, carefully wrap bacon weave over the "meatloaf"- making sure to tuck all ends in. Carefully transfer the Roulade (while still on foil), to a rack- sitting on a foil lined pan,(to catch the grease).
7) Bake the Roulade for 30min. at 400F. Then, turn down the oven temp. to 350F, and bake for another 25-30min. Make sure to temp. at 165F before removing from oven. Remove from oven, and allow to set for 10min. before slicing.
For the Sauce:
In a small pot, simply combine the can of tomato sauce, Balsamic vinegar, parsley, Greek yogurt, and salt & pepper to taste. Place it on low to medium heat- just to heat it up. (You could also microwave this as well for 3-4min.!)
Slice the Roulade, serve with the sauce on the side, (or over the slices), along with your favorite veggie and starch, (if you wish), or a wonderful salad. Enjoy!