Yield: 12 portions "cups"
12 slices of bread- cut in half
1/4 cup half & half or heavy cream (you could also use "coffee mate")
1 t. cinnamon
1- 8oz. package of cream cheese (at room temp.)
1-2 T maple syrup or honey
2 cups of fresh berries
Preheat oven to 350F
1) Liberally grease or butter a 12 cup muffin tin. (The bread will stick- so make sure to grease well!!)
2) In a bowl, beat the eggs with the cream, cinnamon, and add a dash of vanilla extract. Dip the slices of bread, (one half at a time), in the egg mixture, and lay one half in the cup, and dip the second half over-lapping the first one. (1 Piece of bread per cup!) Press down in the center with a spoon. Repeat this process until all 12 cups are filled.
3) Bake at 350F for about 12-15min.- or until egg mixture looks fully puffed/ cooked.
4) Remove from oven. Cool for 5 min., and while still warm, begin running a knife or flat spatula around the edges to remove from the pan.
5) Simply combine the package of cream cheese with about 1-2T of maple syrup or honey. Spoon or pipe into centers of cups. Finish the French Toast Cups off by placing any kind of fresh berries or cut up fruit on top!
You could also drizzle maple syrup on top, caramel, a berry sauce, or even some chocolate!
***You can put any extras in a gallon ziploc bag, and freeze for the next time!!