Yields: 1 deep dish 10in. Pie or 2 standard size pies
**Can purchase already made graham cracker crust at store
Or, follow this recipe for homemade graham cracker pie crust:
Graham Cracker Dough: Yields 2 standard pie crusts or 2-3 dozen crackers
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of honey
3-4 T milk
Dash of ground cloves
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 cups of Whole Wheat flour
1) In a bowl, mix together the egg, oil, sugar, honey, milk, and spices until well combined. Mix in the remaining dry ingredients, until the dough is formed. Wrap the dough in saran wrap, and chill for at least an hour.
2) Preheat oven to 350F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and place on a clean and well floured surface. Roll out, and carefully place in your pie pan. Prick with a fork along the bottom and sides of the crust. You can either just flute the edges, or get creative, and do something "fancy"! ***Note: this dough is delicate, and easily tears, so piece together if necessary, and chill the pie crust in the freezer or fridge for about 10-15min. before baking. Leftover dough? Make some crackers or cut out shapes for cookies!
3) Bake pie crust (or crackers) for approx. 10-12min. at 350F. Remove and allow to cool.
Key Lime Pie Filling:
6 egg yolks
28 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk (2- 14oz. cans)
zest of 2 limes
1 cup of Key Lime Juice (I use Nellie & Joe's)
1) Preheat oven to 325F. Simply mix the yolks, zest, and milk together. Add the lime juice, and watch how it almost instantly thickens!
***Because the lime juice is highly acidic, it actually "cooks" the yolks. Because of this reaction, this pie was never baked when it first originated. However, due to today's food safety standards, we bake the pie for a short duration- which actually thickens the filling a bit more as well.
2) Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake at 325F for about 15-20min. Allow to cool.
1 pt. of heavy whipping cream
2 t. vanilla extract
1/3 cup of sugar
lime zest or
lime slices or segments
1) In a chilled bowl with a whip attachment, whip up the cream. Slowly add the sugar in as it's whipping. Add the vanilla towards the end.
2) Cover the whole pie, or pipe along the edges. Finish with either a sprinkle of fresh lime zest, some lime slices, or segmented limes on each piece. Keep refrigerated. The standard pie serves 8pl.