Yields: 6 servings (or 16 shells)
**1 jar of favorite Spaghetti Sauce or
2 cloves of garlic (pressed or minced)
1/2 onion (diced or minced)
4 oz. of mushrooms (sliced or chopped)
1- 24oz. can (or larger) of tomato puree/ or sauce
2 T. sugar
salt & pepper
1 t. parsley
1 t. basil
1 t. oregano
***optional: 2 T. Vodka
1) In a saucepan, heat some olive oil on medium (about 3-4T.), and begin sauteing the garlic and onion, until it begins to become translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 3-4 min.
2) Add in the tomato puree, sugar, and herbs, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust flavor as necessary. If sauce becomes too thick, thin with some water. When sauce begins to simmer, turn down to low heat, and stir occasionally.
1 box of Jumbo Shells (Pasta)
4-5 cups of fresh (cleaned) chopped kale or can use spinach, arugula, or chard
2 cloves of garlic (minced or pressed)
Olive or grapseed oil
"splash" of White wine
1 1/4 - 1 1/2# of Sweet Italian Sausage (Cooked- can be ground or links)
1- 15oz. container of Ricotta Cheese
1/4 c. of Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 T. chopped parsley (1t. dried parsley)
Salt & Pepper
1 pkg. of Mozzarella Cheese
**additional chopped parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 350F
1) Cook the sausage. Remove from heat, slice (if using links), and set aside. While sausage is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to directions on box. Drain, shock in cold or ice water, and set aside.
2) On medium heat, place oil in a saute pan, when hot, add the garlic and kale. Season liberally with salt and pepper, cook down, until the kale is nice and bright green, and not completely wilted (or soggy!) Add in the wine at the end of cooking- about 2 min. prior to removing from heat. Remove from heat.
3) For the filling: In a mixing bowl, simply combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, seasonings, and the egg. Mix well.
4) In a small roasting pan or baking dish, spread out some tomato sauce at the bottom. Line the cooked shells on top of sauce. Using a spoon, place a Tablespoon of ricotta filling in the shells. Then, place 2-3 pieces of the cooked sliced sausage on top of ricotta filling, (or spoon on some ground sausage.) Next, spoon over some of the sauteed kale on top of shells. Finally, pour the remaining tomato sauce covering the tops of all of the filled shells. Sprinkle over some Mozzarella cheese & chopped parsley.
5) Bake at 350F for about 20min., or until sauce begins to bubble & cheese is melted. Remove and allow to cool for about 5-10min. Serve hot, and enjoy!