Yields: About 12- 4oz. Jelly Jars for canning
Prep Time: About 30min.
Actual Cooking Time: 9-13 hours
About 12 apples (or 1 1/2 totes) **apples are to be peeled, and sliced or chopped
1- 9 oz. package of dried figs (chopped)
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. ground ginger (or fresh)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apple cider
Crock pot or Slow cooker
Food Processor or Food Mill
1) Plug in the Crock Pot, and place the heat setting on Low.
2) Begin to prep your apples. **Note: if you have a spiral apple peeler/ corer, that would make it go faster!
Place apples directly in the crock pot as you go!
3) Add in all other ingredients, and stir. Put the lid on, and let it cook! How easy is that!
****Check on the mixture every few hours. Cooking time varies depending on Slow Cooker, but will generally go anywhere from 9-13 hours of total cooking time.
4) When the apple mixture looks nice and brown, and reduced to where there's not much liquid left, shut the crock pot off, and allow to cool for about 20-30min. Remove the cinnamon sticks. In a food processor, pour the mixture in, and puree, so that no lumps remain, and it is entirely smooth and silky! **You could also use a food mill if you have one as well.
5) If canning, go ahead and use your method/ process of canning. Otherwise, you can freeze some of this spread for future use in freezer safe containers or freezer bags, and refrigerate the rest to use with in 2-4 weeks.
***For Canning: I used the "Water bath" method. I ran all of my jelly jars and utensils through the dish washer to clean them and get them nice and hot. I heated my water, (you do not want it simmering.) Leaving about a 1/4- 1/2in. from top, I poured the apple fig butter into my clean and warm jars. Be sure to wipe off any excess that may get on the rims while filling with a damp clean towel. Place your seals and lids on the jars. Place all of the jars on your canning rack, and lower into the hot water. (Make sure there is a good 1-2in. of water covering the jars.) Turn up the heat. When the water reaches a rolling boil, set your timer for 10 min.- making sure to cover the pot. After 10min. of boiling, shut off the heat, and allow to stand for 5min. Remove your rack filled jars from the water, and place carefully on a flat surface, (such as a wood cutting board), to cool for 12-24 hours. **Within that 12-24 hours, you should hear the seals "pop" if you did it properly! (I heard mine popping with in minutes of removing them from the water!) Check to make sure that they all sealed by pressing down in the center of the lids. If it doesn't spring or pop back- it's sealed! Store in a cool dry place until ready to open and use. Make sure to refrigerate after opening!