Yield: 6-8 servings
For the Fish:
1 1/2# of Tilapia or Cod (Tilapia filets cut in half- cod sliced into about 1in.x 4in. pieces)
1 3/4 cup of flour + about 1 cup of additional flour placed in a shallow pan
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce- chopped or minced
zest of half a lime
1- 12oz. bottle/can of light beer (Corona, Bud, Michelob Ultra, etc.)
Oil for frying
Salsa & Lime Mayo:
Juice from half of a lime
1/4 cup of Salsa
1/4 cup of Mayo
1 t. fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 package of flour or corn tortillas
Additional Garnishes/ sides: fresh diced tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage or cole slaw, diced avocado, diced red onion, fresh or store bought salsa, cheese, hot sauce, jalapenos or additional chipotles
1) Prep your garnishes/ sides ahead of time, and refrigerate until ready to serve!
2) Make the "Salsa & Lime Mayo": In a small bowl, simply combine all the ingredients, mix well until combined, and cover with plastic wrap & refrigerate until ready to serve.
3) For the fish: In a deep fryer or large pot, begin to heat the oil on medium/ high until about 350F.
In a medium bowl, combine the 1 3/4 cup flour, salt, cumin, zest, and chiles. Add the beer in about 3 additions- making sure to stir/ whisk well between each addition. Batter should be about a medium thickness. In a shallow pan or dish, place the additional cup of flour, (no need to season.)
Prep a sheet tray by lining with foil, then placing either a rack, or paper towels on top of the foil. If you wish to keep the fish warm in between frying the batches, heat the oven to 175-200F.
4) Taking the strips of fish one at a time, roll both sides in the flour- making sure to coat well. Using a pair of tongs, dip each strip into the batter, and carefully place in the hot oil. Fry 2-4 strips of fish at a time for about 3-4min. per side- making sure to flip to cook both sides evenly. When fish is done, remove from the oil and place on the prepared sheet tray to remove excess oil. **Remove paper towels if placing in the oven to keep warm.
5) Right before serving, heat the flour or corn tortillas according to package directions.
6) Set out the toppings, tortillas, and sauce for family members or guests to make their own, and enjoy!
**If you have leftover fish, wrap in foil, and reheat to 165F the next day in a 350F oven for about 10-14min.