Also, for those of you that are on gluten- free diets, Polenta is naturally GLUTEN-FREE! (Just make sure to use stock/ broth instead of bouillon- since some bouillon cubes may contain wheat!)
Yield: 1- 13x9 pan of Cooked Polenta (16 triangles)
Feeds 6 people
Triple Cheese Polenta:
6 cups of water
1 chicken bouillon cube (Or, can replace some of the water with chicken stock or broth)
Salt & pepper
2 cups of Polenta (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup of shredded cheese (I used a blend of Colby, Cheddar, & Monterrey Jack)
3 T. butter
Olive or Grapeseed Oil
1) In a larger sauce pot, place the water, bouillon, and some salt and pepper on high heat. Allow to come to a boil, then slowly stir in the 2 cups of polenta, (like grits, it will lump up quick if you don't pour and stir at the same time!)
Turn the heat down to low! Cook for about 15-20minutes- stirring frequently. Grease a 13x9 pan.
2) When the polenta is nice and thick, add the cheese and butter, and mix until well melted/ combined. Pour the hot mixture into your greased pan, and even out with a spatula. Cover promptly with plastic wrap, and place in the refrigerator to chill and firm up.
Chorizo & Black Beans
1/2 green pepper (chopped)
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 T. Sun-dried tomatoes in oil (chopped) **Or if you want it really spicy, use Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce!
1 # Chorizo Sausage (Can be found in most grocers)
1 can of drained black beans
Garnish: extra shredded cheese, guacamole, salsa verde, cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, or can finish with Creamy Avocado & Cilantro Sauce (at the bottom!)
1) In a saute pan, place about 1-2 T. oil and heat on medium/ high. Saute the onions and green pepper for about 2 minutes or so, then add the chopped tomatoes. Add the Chorizo sausage, and simply cook until sausage is done.
Add the beans at the end, and just cook for a couple more minutes. Cover until ready to plate.
2) Remove the polenta from the refrigerator, and cut into 16 triangles. Using a grill pan or grill, lightly brush both sides of the triangles with oil, and place on heated grill for 2-3 minutes/ per side.
3) Arrange 2 triangles per plate, using a scoop or spoon, place some of the cooked chorizo mixture on top, and garnish with some additional cheese, sauce, cilantro, etc. and serve hot!
Creamy Avocado & Cilantro Sauce
2 whole avocados (peeled and pitted)
1 clove of garlic
1 "handful" of fresh cilantro
1/4 red onion (chopped)
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Salt (start w/ 1 t. and add more if needed)
Olive or Grapeseed oil (1/4 cup+)
2-3 T. of Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
1) In a food processor, simply place the avocados, garlic, cilantro, onion, zest/ juice, and salt, and process on low until nice and smooth. Stream in the oil until the sauce is smooth. (Adjust consistency by adding more oil if necessary.) Add the sour cream at the end, and blend until smooth. Store additional sauce for 5-7 days in a sealed container or jar.