Yield: 1- 8in. round torte (8-12 pieces)
1 box of Brownie mix (along with ingredients needed)
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
2 t. instant espresso powder
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder (high quality or dark works best!)
1 T. bourbon
1 t. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F, grease and line an 8 in. round cake pan with parchment.
1) Beat the brown sugar and oil until well blended. Add in the yogurt and egg and beat well. Then add the espresso powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Slowly mix in the flour and cocoa powder, and add the bourbon and vanilla last.
2) Pour the brownie batter into the prepared 8 in. pan, and spread evenly. Bake at 350F. for approx. 20-26min.
***You don't want the brownie to bake all the way! Toothpick will not come out clean, but the batter should have risen, and will appear done on the outside.
Allow to cool for about 10min., and flip onto a cooling rack.
Pecan Praline Buttercream
**Option: Butter Pecan Ice Cream can be used! (About 3-4 cups softened)
1- 1/2 cups of ***Pecan Praline Paste
3-4 cups of Vanilla Buttercream ***Whatever recipe you prefer!
1) For the paste: Simply take some pecan praline candies, (about 8-12oz.), place them in a food processor, and process until the candies begin to form a "paste", or what resembles a dough.
2) In a mixer, start with about 3 cups of vanilla buttercream, and begin adding the pecan praline paste until you have the desired flavor! (Depending on your personal preference, you may want to add more or less!)
***Set buttercream aside and cover with plastic wrap until ready to use. (Don't refrigerate!)
1 bag of Dark Chocolate chips
1 pint of heavy cream
1 T. unsalted butter
1) Place the chocolate chips in a mixing bowl. Place the cream and butter on medium/ high heat. Allow to come to a rolling boil, and pour immediately over the chocolate chips. Whisk until fully blended. Allow to cool to room temp., (before pouring over the prepared torte.)
Assembly of Torte:
1- 8in. cake board
1- 9 or 10in. cake board
1/2 cup melted white chocolate (for piping design)
1 cup of crushed pecan pralines **in addition to what was used above!
1) Smear a small amount of frosting on the 8in. cake board. Place the brownie, (flat side down) on the cake board. Begin piling on some of the pecan praline frosting, (or softened ice cream). Shape the frosting in a "dome"- as evenly as possible. Place in the refrigerator or freezer for about 15-30min. to allow it to set up. Take some tape, and making sure the sticky part is up, place on top of the 10in. cake board.
2) Remove the torte, using scissors, trim any excess cake board from the base, and place on a rack over top of a sheet tray. Stir up the ganache first, then using a ladle, begin to pour over the top/ sides of torte. ***If ganache is too warm, it will just run off, and not leave a thick enough coat. The ganache must be room temp. or SLIGHTLY cooler! (On the flip side, if it's too cool, it will not coat evenly, and you will have "blobs" on top!) Once the torte is coated, remove carefully from rack, and place the crushed pralines around the sides.
3) Place the torte on top of the 10in. cake board. Using some melted white chocolate, place in a parchment triangle, snip off just the very tip, and pipe whatever you design you wish over the top! (Can always just drizzle lines if you want to make it easy!) Refrigerate or freeze until ready to cut and serve!
****Very important: When slicing to serve, you must continuously dip your knife in very hot water between cuts to keep the torte presentable for clean slices!