Hard to believe that summer is almost over, and that school already starts next week! (We are late in Michigan compared to other states, and considering how short our summers are, it works for us!) I truly haven't made any real "frozen" treats this summer, but I recently just purchased a brand new "modern" ice cream machine, and asked the kids what kind of flavor they wanted.
Since there are 4 of them, things can get hairy fast when you ask a group of siblings for their ideas! Although one child was particularly bummed that his idea was not the consensus, (my 5 year old!), the majority ruled for this particular flavor. And hey, why not?! I've told you how the Chocolate Cream Pie is a huge hit in my house, and why not make it an ice cream flavor!! Creamy vanilla ice cream, with swirls of rich chocolate pudding, and crunchy bites of cookie crumbs.....heavenly!!!! It's kind of like putting together a pudding pop, with a scoop of ice cream in one bowl! Ice cream may seem daunting or intimidating to make, but the base only takes 10-15 min. to throw together, and the pudding can just be purchased, or instant! The rest is done by a machine, so it really is super easy. The one thing I will caution you with is, I am used to my "old school" bucket ice cream maker, so I wasn't aware that the "freezer bowl" for my new machine needed to freeze for 24+ hours!!! (Yikes! Kind of prolonged the whole process of simply getting it churned!) "Live and learn" as they say! LOL-
Yield: 1 3/4 Qt.
Prep time: 15-20 min.
Churn time: ***Depends on machine used, but 20+ min.
1- 1 1/2 cups of Chocolate Pudding (I used 1 box of instant "Chocolate Fudge") ***Can purchase store bought, or make your own from scratch using your favorite recipe!
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups of milk (Try to use whole milk or 2%)
1/2 cup of sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. of vanilla extract
1 cup of crushed cookies ***chocolate wafers, graham crackers, chocolate covered graham crackers, etc.
***Ice Cream Maker
***2 Qt. storage container for finished ice cream (for freezer)
1) Read the instructions for your ice cream machine, and freeze your bowl 1-2 days ahead of making your ice cream!
2) If making chocolate pudding: Follow the instructions on the box for the instant pudding, or make your favorite chocolate pudding recipe from scratch!
3) For ice cream base: On medium heat, place the milk and cream in a sauce pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and yolks until mixture is lightened. When the milk & cream become frothy, (before it comes to a real simmer), pour a little bit of it into your yolks to temper- while whisking vigorously. (You DO NOT want to scramble your eggs!) Then, pour the tempered yolk mixture into the milk and cream in pan, continue stirring until the mixture begins to thicken slightly, and coats the back of your spoon. ***Constantly stir/ whisk the mixture as it is cooking so you don't scramble your eggs!
4) Remove from heat, and strain through a fine sieve, or can use cheesecloth. Add the vanilla, and place the strained custard (while in a smaller bowl) into a larger bowl "ice bath", (A bowl filled halfway with ice and very cold water), stir frequently to bring down the temp. faster. (You want it cooler than room temp.) Place loosely covered in the refrigerator until completely chilled.
5) For cookie crumbs: Simply take about 6 cookies of your choice and crush by placing in a food processor and pulsing, or place in a ziploc, and crushing the cookies by using a can, rolling pin, etc.
6) To freeze the ice cream: Follow the manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream machine. At the very end of churning the custard base, (when ice cream really thickened), add the cookie crumbs first, allow to combine, and spoon in the pudding. ***DON'T ALLOW TO FULLY MIX-IN! SOME WILL, BUT YOU STILL WANT TO SEE SOME RIBBONS OF PUDDING IN THE ICE CREAM!
7) Remove ice cream from the machine, pour into your 2 qt. storage container, and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours to really freeze firmly. When ready to enjoy, scoop ice cream into a bowl, sundae glass, etc., and be prepared for deliciousness!!